Friday, October 28, 2011

The Road less traveled

The voice of negativity can and will get the better of us if you don't keep it in check. I have had to deal with this demon for sometime and I have learned to tune him out but he is never gone. He is there whispering, lies and doubt, to make us forget why we started on this task and keep us from our dreams. I have done some reading on the subject and have learned of a young marathon runner that has the same problem Kara Goucher.

""I have a lot of negative chatter in my head," Goucher tells me in a recent interview. "If I don't rein it in, my mind will tend to obsess about what everyone else is doing in the race around me. I'll start comparing myself to everyone else." When she does that, she says, she saps the strength from her own legs. She morphs from great into okay. When she can block out the critical self-talk, she runs like a champion.
Goucher's struggle exemplifies a hidden challenge that every distance runner faces: the wrestling match with the mind."
A truly great story I suggest you give it a read.  Please read all of it

I found this old post I did some time ago and I wanted to share it with you tonight. I like looking at my old writing and finding treasures like this. I often ask myself what motivated me to think this way or what emotions was I feeling at that moment. This piece is called the Road less traveled and, I see the negativity monster coming out and and trying to discourage me from doing something I really love.  The writing is a little raw and all over the place but its who I was at that moment... "unfiltered James"

The internet at our finger tips... Google one click away, we can see the world from our HD screens.  Yet we still travel, we earn to have these experiences for ourselfs.  I want to see the pyramids with my own eyes.  I want to remember the smells the heat on my face,  I will take the photos I want...

I think about this when I get discouraged as a photographer, the voices of doubt creep into my head and I hear.

"It has already been done"
"This picture is boring"
"You will never be a Dan winters, Chace Jarvise, Henri Cartier-Bresson"
"Whats the point in continuing this absurd pipe dream"
"Give up"

I have one thing to say to that, and that's who gives a shit!  I take these photos for me so that I can experience life the way I see it.  I do this for no one else but me.  I would like to share a few of my stories with you and a few invaluable tips I have learned along the way.  How do I share and publish my story?

Veritas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

You might like